Friday, March 22, 2013

Splatter Nails!

Today, I tried a nail art I had been eyeing for some time now, but had always been afraid of how messy it would be.  But I decided to just go for it tonight.  I did splatter nails!!  They look super cool, but they are still beginner nails haha, so they aren't perfect.  I had to play around with how far away the straw needed to be from my nails so a giant splotch didn't just cover the whole nail.  That did happen a lot on my first hand, but it's not terrible looking.

I started with a base coat of the Seche Vite base coat, and two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme White On.

I really need a new white, or some polish thinner.  This polish (and all my Xtreme Wears) are SOOOO thick!! It's really hard to work with.

Next I laid out a whole section of newspaper across my table, just to make sure all spots were polish could potentially splatter were covered.  I'd cover more than you think you need to, just to be sure!!
I picked my colors (Orly's Blue Collar, Beach Cruiser, and Velvet Rope), and used one straw per color. I cut the bendy part off too.

Then I put drops of polish one color at a time on a piece of paper.  I dipped the straw into the color and made sure there was some polish up inside the straw, not just covered around the edge.  Then I placed the straw over my nail and blew hard, once into the straw to splatter the polish.




















Tip: The farther from your nail you put the straw the more splatter effect you get.  The closer you are the more it covers the full nail.

For some reason, I didn't think to tape off my nails on my first hand (left hand). And let me tell you, that is a MESS.
I got smarter on the second (right) hand.  And I taped it just like I would for water marbling.  I use three pieces of scotch tape, one across the bottom of the nail, and the other two up each side of the nail. Sorry I don't have a picture of how I tape.

Since it was the second hand, and I learned from my mistakes, I like my right hand better, which is quite unusual!  Usually my right hand is more shaky since I'm right handed.  Here's my final RIGHT hand:


As far as nail art however, this is one that is pretty easy, and fool proof.  And there is no wrong way for it to look,  Every nail will look different, and thats ok!!  Just be sure to remember to tape the nail off, or you will spend quite a bit of time cleaning up your entire finger!




And I have a favor to ask you all.  A fellow nail blogger, Kat, from Kat Stays Polished is in a Blogger Contest on Facebook, to be a featured beauty blogger. If you could please follow THIS link, and just like the post, I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks everyone!!  Have a great weekend!

~Kat

1 comment: