Saturday, May 25, 2013

Textured Polish Comparison

Sorry if it seems like I've been neglecting you guys lately.  I've been spending my nights with Hubs, since he's been out of work on sick leave for his surgery, followed immediately with vacation time.  But his month off is now over, and I will be back to blogging more frequently now!!

Today I have a comparison of three different textured polishes today, China Glaze Texture, Orly Mega Pixel FX, and OPI Liquid Sand.  They are probably the three most popular textures out there right now, and they are all really different!!

First up is China Glaze Texture.  I got mine at Sally's a few weeks ago, and I got the pink, Unrefined.  It's a bright summer pink, that is going to look amazing on any skin tone!  It's a perfect summer color.
This is two coats, in a lightbox.  I didn't use a top coat, so I could have the true texture.  It covers well, with no balding; which I can't say about some of the other recent China Glaze collections (I'm looking at you, Holographic collection).  It also dries really quickly, especially the first coat. I smudged my first application but only because I'm used to my polish drying immediately with Seche Vite. The downside to this texture polish is that it is really rough!  I actually scratched my face with my nail polish the first time I wore it.  However, even without the top coat, there was minimal tip wear by the end of the following day!

Second, is Orly MegaPixel FX.  I also got this at Sally's during their May polish sale where I got a free Orly Argan Oil cuticle oil. The color I picked up was Rose Pixel.  It's supposed to be a Rose Gold color, which is a really big color trend at the moment.

This is three coats, with no top coat again.  In pictures with flash this color is really pretty and exactly what I wanted it to look like. However in real life, the color is really plain, almost like there isn't any pigment in it.  I chose this color because in the promotional swatches it looked the most unique.  So I was highly disappointed with the color of this polish.  As for the texture, it was much softer than the China Glaze texture, but there was a lot of tip wear and chipping within the first day.  And that is highly unusual for Orly polish!  

And last but not least is the OPI Liquid Sand.  I went back to the nail polish supply store in my city yesterday, and they had a few of the Bond Girls collection!  I really wanted Pussy Galore, which is a gorgeous pale pink with what looks like a golden glitter hidden in it.  Unfortunately, they only had Tiffany Case and Solitaire.  Tiffany Case is a nice bright blue which is pretty, but I have been on a blue streak lately so I passed on that one.  Instead I bought Solitaire.

I wish I could get an accurate representation of this color with a photo.  Because this does NOT do it justice.  It's a beautiful white shimmer with nice sized silver glitter that reflects on everything!  I always forget how much I love OPI.  And then I use it again and fall in love all over.  They have the best brush, hands down.  This color covered so well, and I used two coats in this mani again with no top coat.  Not only does OPI have the best brush, but they have the least gritty textured polish. It's obviously textured when you see it, and it's actually soft and not scratchy at all.  

Out of the three, the OPI Liquid Sand is my favorite.  It covers well and has the best feeling to the texture. And the brush is really important.  The China Glaze came in second place, and it's only because it wore better than the Orly.  Had the Orly not chipped by the end of the first day of wear, it would have been second. Especially because the texture of the China Glaze is so gritty, compared to the other two brands.  

But don't just take my word for it, go check out these collections and all the others available. Currently I know that Sally Hansen has a textured collection called Sugar Coat, and Milani also had a textured line, but I was never able to find it.  I saw the Sally Hansen at Target this week.  China Glaze only has the one textured line right now, as does Orly.  But OPI seems to be incorporating at least one Liquid Sand color into each collection.

Have you tried any of the texures?  What did you think about them?  Let me know in the comments.

~Kat

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the gold! I think I may do a gold mani soon too, thanks for the inspiration :)

    -Erica
    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete